[Bioc-devel] RFC: read.AnnotatedDataFrame

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Thu May 24 23:22:01 CEST 2007

Dear Robert,

> I would prefer not to drop the widget option, even if all we do is to
> say there is not one - please let us know that you want one. We should
> avoid changing signatures unless it is really necessary - and this seems
> to be aesthetic not semantic.

OK!

> If you really want to help the Excel folks out, then you would use
> COM/DCOM to pull it directly from Excel, rather than force them to save
> as a file etc. I think it is quite straightforward and there have been
> several examples on the mailing list recently.

Good point. I think both will be useful - reading from tab-delimited
files (somewhat more portable), and via RODBC (which is very nice but a
bit tedious to install on Linux, at least last time I did it).

Do people have any strong objections to changing defaults to:
sep="\t", header=TRUE, quote ="", as.is=TRUE

Best wishes
   Wolfgang