[Bioc-devel] biocLite - can it produce better error messages?

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Sun Jan 28 16:01:55 CET 2007

Hi all,

a collaborator of mine tried to install a package from the 1.9 release
earlier this morning, getting the error messages below. Now I am not
getting these, apparently this may have been a transient outage of the
bioconductor repository.

My suggestion is that the "getBioC" function would produce a more
helpful error message. While it is true that dependency '‘pkgname’' is
not available, if the deeper problem is that no connection can be
established with the repository server, many users might be less
confused if this were what they'd be told...

  Best wishes
   Wolfgang

Running getBioC version 0.1.8 with R version 2.4.1
Running biocinstall version 1.9.9 with R version 2.4.1
Your version of R requires version 1.9 of Bioconductor.
dependency '‘cellHTS’' is not available

> biocLite('prada')
Running getBioC version 0.1.8 with R version 2.4.1
Running biocinstall version 1.9.9 with R version 2.4.1
Your version of R requires version 1.9 of Bioconductor.
dependency '‘prada’' is not available