[Bioc-devel] Updated biocViews beta available: please comment

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu Dec 8 04:03:31 CET 2005

Gordon,

On  7 Dec 2005, smyth at wehi.edu.au wrote:
> Thanks for your work on this. Content seems good as far as I can
> see.
>
> I have a comment on visual design, which is that the bold dashed
> lines around the html tables of packages are very distracting.

Agreed.  Li also commented on that defect of the design.  All of the
style and color is done via CSS so this was an easy change.  No more
borders around the tables.

> On the same theme of keeping things simple, the font and colour
> changes are also just a little overdone here and on the package home
> pages, to my taste at least. For example, on the package home pages,
> the darker blue shading serves to give the strongest highlighting to
> lines of text which are actually just details, not the most
> important things on the page.

I'm open to other color suggestions, but I've heard from others that
the alternating row colors on the tables makes them easier to read.  I
did remove the italics from the CSS so a bit less is going on with the
fonts.

I agree, however, that the strongest element is not presently the most
important.  I've attempted to rectify that by reordering: details now
come last.

> Content is the most important thing of course, but hope you won't
> mind these suggestions on visual design.

Not at all, I appreciate the useful feedback.

> On the subject of email addresses on the package pages, please don't
> artificially add email address to the author field.

Please accept my apology.  It was not added on purpose.  But it is
also a moot point.  I've opted, based on feedback in this thread, to
remove email addresses entirely from the HTML listings.

An update is already available.

Best,

+ seth