[Bioc-devel] Updated biocViews beta available: please comment

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Wed Dec 7 23:10:12 CET 2005

>From: Seth Falcon <sfalcon at fhcrc.org>
>Subject: [Bioc-devel] Updated biocViews beta available: please comment
>To: bioc-devel at stat.math.ethz.ch
>
>We have a new (and slightly improved) categorized view of Bioc
>packages available and we are looking for comments.
>
>In addition, we have revamped the package description HTML pages.
>
>Please have a look at both and tell us what you think.
>
>Bioc Views: http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/bioc/1.8/vocRoot.html
>New index: http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/bioc/1.8/index.html
>

>Best,
>
>+ seth

Hi Seth,

Thanks for your work on this. Content seems good as far as I can see.

I have a comment on visual design, which is that the bold dashed lines
around the html tables of packages are very distracting. At least on my
machine, and in my eyes, they set up one of those visual illusions in which
one sees colour and movement that isn't actually there. I don't see a need
for these lines at all. As William Cleveland says, avoid using ink that
doesn't convey information. Simplest is usually best.

On the same theme of keeping things simple, the font and colour changes are
also just a little overdone here and on the package home pages, to my taste
at least. For example, on the package home pages, the darker blue shading
serves to give the strongest highlighting to lines of text which are
actually just details, not the most important things on the page.

Content is the most important thing of course, but hope you won't mind
these suggestions on visual design.

On the subject of email addresses on the package pages, please don't
artificially add email address to the author field. The page
http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/bioc/1.8/html/limma.html
gives my email address three times for some reason, whereas it appears only
twice in the limma DESCRIPTION file. Believe me, people have no trouble
finding my email address as it is. In any case, it is the maintainer of a
package, not the author if these happen to be different, who should be
contacted when a need arises.

Cheers
Gordon