[Statlist] ETH/UZH ZüKoSt: Seminar on Applied Statistics by Mats Stensrud, EPFL Lausanne, 25.11.2022

Maurer Letizia |et|z|@m@urer @end|ng |rom ethz@ch
Mon Nov 21 08:01:13 CET 2022

We are glad to announce the following talk in the ETH/UZH ZüKoSt: Seminar on Applied Statistics:

"Bridging data and decisions: How strings of numbers can honestly guide future policies"
by Mats Stensrud, EPFL Lausanne

Time and date: Friday,  25.11.2022 at 15.15 h
Place: ETH Zurich, HG G 19.1

Abstract: Investigators often express interest in effects that quantify the mechanism by which a treatment (exposure) affects an outcome. In this presentation, I will discuss how to formulate and choose effects that quantify mechanisms, beyond conventional average causal effects. I will consider the perspective of a decision maker, such as a patient, doctor or drug developer. I will emphasize that a careful articulation of a practically useful research question should either map to decision making at this point in time or in the future. A common feature of effects that are practically useful is that they correspond to possibly hypothetical but well-​defined interventions in identifiable (sub)populations. To illustrate my points, I will consider examples that were recently used to motivate consideration of mechanistic effects, e.g. in clinical trials. In all of these examples, I will suggest different causal effects that correspond to explicit research questions of practical interest. These proposed effects also require less stringent identification assumptions.

Seminar website: https://math.ethz.ch/sfs/news-and-events/seminar-applied-statistics.html

Organisers: F. Balabdaoui, A. Bandeira, P. L. Bühlmann, R. Furrer, L. Held, T. Hothorn, M. Kalisch, M. H. Maathuis, M. Mächler, L. Meier, N. Meinshausen, J. Peters, M. Robinson, C. Strobl, S. van de Geer