[Statlist] Research Seminar in Statistics *FRIDAY 3 NOVEMBER 2017* GSEM, University of Geneva

gsem-support-instituts g@em-@upport-|n@t|tut@ @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Mon Oct 30 11:25:48 CET 2017

Dear All,

We are pleased to invite you to our next Research Seminar.

Looking forward to seeing you

Organizers :
E. Cantoni - D. La Vecchia - E. Ronchetti
S. Sperlich - F. Trojani - M.-P. Victoria-Feser

FRIDAY 3 NOVEMBER 2017 at 11:15am, Uni-Mail M 5220

A Robust ANOVA Approach to Phylogenetic Analysis
Chris FIELD - Dalhousie University, Canada

ABSTRACT:
In this talk I address the issue of estimating the phylogenetic tree based on sequence data across aset of genes. Recognizing that the individual gene trees may not all share the same evolutionary history due to lateral gene transfer or differences in rates of evolution for instance, we develop a robust algorithm for tree estimation based on pairwise distances computed gene by gene. A robust analysis of variance is used to combine the distances across all genes giving a summary distance for all genes. The tree can then be constructed using any distance method such as BIONJ. Using the weights from the robust ANOVA, we can then identify the outlying genes and taxa for further examination. Since the method is based on distances, computation is much faster than maximum likelihood on the concatenated genes. It is also very straightforward to carry out a bootstrap analysis using standard methods for regression models. The methods are tested in a comprehensive simulation study and applied then to several data sets recently analyzed in the literature.

Visit the website: https://www.unige.ch/gsem/en/research/seminars/rcs/