[Statlist] Reminder: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 with Yuansi Chen (Berkeley, University of California)

Maurer Letizia |et|z|@m@urer @end|ng |rom ethz@ch
Mon Jun 5 07:24:17 CEST 2017

Reminder

Anfang der weitergeleiteten Nachricht:

Von: Maurer Letizia <cletizia using ethz.ch<mailto:cletizia using ethz.ch>>
Betreff: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 with Yuansi Chen (Berkeley, University of California)
Datum: 30. Mai 2017 08:50:03 MESZ
An: <statlist using stat.ch<mailto:statlist using stat.ch>>

E-mail from the  Statlist using stat.ch<mailto:Statlist using stat.ch>  mailing list
ETH and University of Zurich

Organisers:

Proff. P. Bühlmann - L. Held - T. Hothorn - M. Maathuis -
N. Meinshausen - S. van de Geer - M. Wolf
We are glad to announce the following talk:

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 11:00h  ETH Zurich HG G 26.341
with Yuansi Chen (Berkeley, University of California)

Title:

CNNs meet real neurons: transfer learning and pattern selectivity in V4.<https://www.math.ethz.ch/sfs/news-and-events/research-seminar.html?s=fs17#e_10695>

Abstract:

Vision in humans and in non-human primates is mediated by a constellation of hierarchically organized visual areas. Visual cortex area V4, which has highly nonlinear response properties, is a challenging visual cortex area after V1 and V2 on the ventral pathway. We demonstrate that area V4 of the primate visual cortex can be accurately modeled via transfer learning of convolutional neural networks (CNNs). We also find that several different neural network architectures lead to similar predictive performance. This fact, combined with the high dimensionality of the models, makes model interpretation challenging. Hence, we introduce stability based principles to interpret these models and explain V4 neuron's pattern selectivity.

This abstract is also to be found under the following link: http://stat.ethz.ch/events/research_seminar