[Statlist] CANCELLATION: Statistics Seminar, tomorrow, 15h15 at EPFL

Schaffner Portillo Maroussia m@rou@@|@@@ch@||nerport|||o @end|ng |rom ep||@ch
Thu May 26 15:05:03 CEST 2016

Dear All,

We are sorry to announce that tomorrow's seminar is cancelled. Professor Charles Taylor will not be able to fly to Geneva, because of the air-traffic controllers' strike in France.

Best,
Maroussia

STATISTICS SEMINAR

Friday, 27 May 2016 - 15h15
Room MA10<http://plan.epfl.ch/?lang=en&room=MAA110>

Prof. Charles Taylor<http://www1.maths.leeds.ac.uk/~charles/>
University of Leeds

will be speaking on :

Nonparametric transformations for directional and shape data

Abstract:
For i.i.d. data (x_i, y_i), in which both x and y lie on a sphere, we consider flexible (non-rigid) regression models, in which solutions can be obtained for each location of the manifold, with (local) weights which are are function of distance. By considering terms in a series expansion, a ``local linear'' model is proposed for rotations, and we explore an iterative procedure with connections to boosting. Further extensions to general shape matching are discussed.

Best regards.

Maroussia Schaffner Portillo

EPFL-SB-MATHAA-SMAT

http://smat.epfl.ch/seminar/seminar.php