[Statlist] Research seminar in statistics May 27th 2016, GSEM University of Geneva

Karen Longden Roure K@ren@Longden @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Mon May 23 08:58:42 CEST 2016

Dear All,

We are pleased to invite you to our next Research Seminar -

Looking forward to seeing you

Organisers :
E. Cantoni - D. La Vecchia - E. Ronchetti -
S. Sperlich - F. Trojani - M.-P. Victoria-Feser

Friday May 27th 2016, at 11h15, Uni-Mail MS150

Health and Skill Formation in Early Childhood
Pietro Biroli - University of Zurich - (joint seminar Economics-Statistics)

ABSTRACT :

This paper analyzes the developmental origins and the evolution of health, cognitive, and noncognitive skills during early childhood, from age 0 to 5. We explicitly model the dynamic interactions of health with the child's behavior and cognitive skills, as well as the role of parental investment. A dynamic factor model corrects for the presence of measurement error in the proxy for the latent traits. Using data from the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC), we find that children's capabilities strongly interact and build on each other: health is an important determinant of early noncognitive development; in turn noncognitive skills have a positive impact on the evolution of both health and cognitive functions; on the other side, the effect of cognitive abilities on health is negligible. Furthermore, all facets of human capital display a high degree of persistence. Finally, mother's investments are an important determinant of the child's health, cognitive, and noncognitive development early in life.

Visit the website: http://www.stat-center.unige.ch/ressem.html

Karen Longden
Program Coordinator
MSc. in Management, MSc. in Economics, MSc. in Statistics
Universit� de Gen�ve, Uni-Mail
Facult� d'Economie & Management, GSEM
40, bd. du Pont d'Arve, 1211 Gen�ve 4
T�l:  +41.22.379.8109 (10h-14h)