[Statlist] Research seminar in statistics October 16th 2015, GSEM University of Geneva

Eva Cantoni Ev@@C@nton| @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Mon Oct 12 08:55:27 CEST 2015

Organisers :
E. Cantoni - D. La Vecchia - E. Ronchetti -
S. Sperlich - F. Trojani - M-P. Victoria-Feser

Friday October 16th, 2015
at 11h15 - Room M 5220, Uni Mail (40, bd du Pont-d'Arve)

Higher-order asymptotics for frequency domain M-estimators
Davide La Vecchia - GSEM, Université de Genève

ABSTRACT:
Saddlepoint methods provide very accurate approximations to the
distribution of estimators and test statistics, but except for a few
simple special cases, these techniques are not available in the time
series framework. We present two alternative approaches to develop
saddlepoint techniques for frequency domain M-estimators. In the first
one, we obtain saddlepoint density and tail probability approximations
by tilting  the Edgeworth expansion and we illustrate the methodology in
the case of the widely-applied Whittle estimator. Although the resulting
saddlepoint approximations are attractive from a theoretical point of
view, their practical implementation seems to be difficult. In the
second one, we develop saddlepoint techniques (e.g. for tests in the
presence of nuisance parameters) using a first-order Gram-Charlier
differential series, where the developing function is the cumulant
generating function of an exponential random variable. The methodology
opens up a wide field of applications, since these methods are linked to
some existing inferential procedures, they are easy-to-implement and,
typically, they improve on the routinely applied first-order
asymptotics. A real data analysis of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation
index and Monte Carlo exercises illustrate the good performance of the
proposed methods.

Visit the website: http://www.stat-center.unige.ch/ressem.html

Karen Longden Roure
Program Coordinator
MSc. in Management, MSc. in Economics, MSc. in Statistics
Université de Genève, Uni-Mail
Faculté d'Economie & Management, GSEM
40, bd. du Pont d'Arve, 1211 Genève 4
Tél:  +41.22.379.8109 (10h-14h)