[Statlist] RESEARCH SEMINAR IN STATISTICS - UNIVERSITY OF GENEVA

Eva Cantoni Ev@@C@nton| @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Fri Mar 7 14:19:40 CET 2014

RESEARCH SEMINAR IN STATISTICS - UNIVERSITY OF GENEVA

Organisers : .
E. Cantoni - E. Ronchetti - S. Sperlich - M-P. Victoria-Feser

Friday March 14th, 2014
at 11h15
Room M 5220, Uni Mail (40, bd du Pont-d'Arve)

Marco AVELLA MEDINA
Université de Genève

Robust and consistent variable selection in generalized linear and
additive models

Abstract:
Generalized Linear Models (GLM) and Generalized Additive Models (GAM)
are popular statistical methods for modelling continuous and discrete
data both parametrically and nonparametrically. In this general
framework we consider the problem of variable selection through
penalized methods by focusing on resistance issues in the presence of
outlying data and other deviations from the stochastic assumptions. We
propose robust penalized M-estimators and study their asymptotic
properties. In particular we show that robust counterparts of the
adaptive lasso and the nonnegative garrote satisfy the oracle
properties. Our results extend the available theory from linear models
to GLM and GAM, and from L2-based estimation to robust estimation.
Finally, we illustrate the final sample performance of the method by a
simulation study in a Poisson regression setting.

http://www.stat-center.unige.ch/ResSem.html

--
Prof. Eva Cantoni
Research Center for Statistics and