[Statlist] Next talk: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 ( HG G 19.2) with Joris M. Mooij, Radboud University Nijmegen

Cecilia Rey rey @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Thu Mar 28 09:10:11 CET 2013

RESEARCH SEMINAR  at ETH Zurich HG G 19.2

Organisers:
Proffs. P. Bühlmann - L. Held - H.R. Kuensch - M. Maathuis - S. van de Geer - M. Wolf

We are glad to announce the following talk

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 -  15.15h  ETH Zurich HG G 19.2
with Joris M. Mooij, Radboud University Nijmegen

Title:
Cyclic Causal Discovery from Equilibrium Data

Abstract:
Causal feedback loops play important roles in many biological systems. In the
absence of time series data, inferring the structure of cyclic causal systems
can be extremely challenging. An example of such a biological system is a
cellular signalling network that plays an important role in human immune system
cells (Sachs et al., Science 2005), consisting of several interacting proteins
and phospholipids. The protein concentration data measured by Sachs et al.
utilizing flow cytometry has been analyzed by different researchers in order to
evaluate various causal inference methods. Most of these methods only consider
acyclic causal structures, even though the data shows strong evidence that
feedback loops are present. In this talk I will propose a new method for cyclic
causal discovery from a combination of observational and interventional
equilibrium data. I will show that the method indeed finds evidence for feedback
loops in the flow cytometry data and that it gives a more accurate quantitative
description of the data at comparable model complexity.