[Statlist] Talk of Risi Kondor (zur Zeit Postdoc am Caltech, ab Herbst Assistenzprofessor an der U Chicago Statistics und CS)

Cecilia Rey rey @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Tue Jun 14 11:02:19 CEST 2011

ETH and University of Zurich

Proff. P. Buehlmann -  R. Furrer - L. Held - H.R. Kuensch -
M. Maathuis -  S. van de Geer - M. Wolf

We are glad to announce the following talk
Friday, June 17, 2011, 11.00 CAB H52

  by Risi Kondor (zur Zeit Postdoc am Caltech, ab Herbst
Assistenzprofessor an der University of Chicago, Statistics and
Computer Science)

  Titel:
Non-commutative harmonic analysis in machine learning

Abstract:
Non-commutative harmonic analysis generalizes the notion of Fourier
transformation to rotations, permutations, or indeed, any compact
group of transformations acting on some underlying space. We have
found that this theory and the corresponding fast Fourier transforms
have a whole range of natural applications in machine learning and
other areas of computer science. I will give an overview of these
developments, touching on invariant features for computer vision,
compact representations of uncertainty in multi-object tracking, graph
kernels, and strategies for solving hard optimization problems.
--
ETH Z�rich
Seminar f�r Statistik