[Statlist] Next talk: Thursday, June 16, 2011 with Jonas Peters

Cecilia Rey rey @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Fri Jun 10 15:09:45 CEST 2011

ETH and University of Zurich

Proff. P. Buehlmann -  R. Furrer - L. Held - H.R. Kuensch -
M. Maathuis -  S. van de Geer - M. Wolf

We are glad to announce the following talk
Thursday, June 16, 2011, 15.15 HG G 19.1

  by Jonas Peters (Max-Planck-Campus, T�bingen)

  Titel:
Causal Inference using Identifiable Functional Model Classes

Abstract:
This work addresses the following question:
Under what assumptions on the data generating process can one infer
the causal graph from the joint distribution?
Constraint-based methods like the PC algorithm assume the Markov
condition and faithfulness. These two conditions relate conditional
independences and the graph structure, which allows to infer
properties of the graph from conditional independences that can be
found in the joint distribution. These methods, however, encounter the
following difficulties: (1) One can discover causal structures only up
to Markov equivalence classes, in particular one cannot distinguish
between X -> Y and Y -> X. (2) Conditional independence testing is
very difficult in practice. (3) When the process is not faithful, the
results may be wrong, but the user does not realize it. We propose an
alternative by defining dentifiable Functional Model classes (IFMOCs)
and provide the example of additive noise models with additional
constraints (e.g. X3=f(X1,X2)+N, but N should not be Gaussian when f
is linear). Based on these classes we develop a causal inference
method that overcomes some of the difficulties from before: (1) One
can identify causal relationships even within an equivalence class.
(2)Intuitively, fitting the model is in a sense easier than
conditional independence testing. (3) We do not require faithfulness,
but rather impose a model class on the data. When the model
assumptions are violated, however, (e.g. the data do not follow the
considered IFMOC or some of the variables are unobserved), the method
would output "I do not know" rather than giving wrong answers.We
regard our work as being theoretical. Although results on simulated
data and on some real world data sets look promising, extensive
experiments on real systems are necessary to verify the proposed
principles.

The abstract is also to be found here:  http://stat.ethz.ch/events/research_seminar

-
ETH Z�rich
Seminar f�r Statistik
Cecilia Rey-Lutz, HG G10.3
R�mistrasse 101
CH-8092 Zurich
mail: rey using stat.math.ethz.ch
phone: +41 44 632 3438/fax: +41 44 632 1228