[Statlist] Next talk: March 26, 2010 with Cun-Hui Zhang, Rutgers University U.S.A.

Susanne Kaiser-Heinzmann k@|@er @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Fri Mar 19 15:44:21 CET 2010

ETH and University of Zurich

Proff. A.D. Barbour - P. Buehlmann -  L. Held -
H.R. Kuensch - M. Maathuis - W. Stahel - S. van de Geer

We are glad to announce the following talk

*Friday, March 26, 2010 15.15 - 16.15  HG  G 19.1 *
with Cun-Hui Zhang, Rutgers University, U.S.A

Title:

GRAPHICAL MODEL SELECTION AND STATISTICAL INFERENCE ABOUT LARGE INVERSE
MATRICES

Abstract:

We propose a new method of learning a large symmetric target matrix
whose inverse can
be directly approximated by data. Our primary example of the target
matrix is the inverse
of a population correlation or covariance matrix. The proposed method,
called GMACS,
naturally leads to a uniform error bound which can be viewed as
simultaneous con
dence
intervals for the elements of the target matrix from an oracle expert.
Since the uniform
error bound essentially turns a statistical experiment with indirect
observations into one
with direct observations, conservative solutions follow for a number of
hypothesis testing
and structure estimation problems, including graphical model selection
and consistent esti-
mation of the target under the spectrum and other norms. Our main ideas
and results are
applicable to general symmetric data and target matrices.

This abstract is also to be found under the following link:
http://stat.ethz.ch/talks/research_seminar

--
ETH Zürich
Sekretariat               sekretariat using stat.math.ethz.ch