[Statlist] REMINDER Special Talk with Johanna Ziegel, Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 14.15h, ETH Zürich, HG G19.1

Susanne Kaiser-Heinzmann k@|@er @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Mon Aug 30 11:39:08 CEST 2010

REMINDER

Seminar für Statistik, ETH Zürich, Prof. Hansruedi Künsch:
We announce the following special talk

*Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 14.15 - 16.00, ETH Zürich, HG G 19.1*

with Johanna Ziegel, The University of Melbourne
joint work with Peter Hall, The University of Melbourne

Title:
*Distribution estimators and confidence intervals for Cavalieri estimators*

Abstract:
Volume estimators based on Cavalieri’s principle are widely used in the
bio-sciences. For example in neuroscience, where volumetric measurements
of brainstructures are of interest, systematic samples of serial
sections are obtained by magnetic resonance imaging or by a physical
cutting procedure. The volume is then estimated by the sum over the
areas of the structure of interest in the section planes multiplied by
the width of the sections. Assessing the precision of such volume
estimates is a question of great practical importance, but statistically
a challenging task due to the strong spatial dependence of the data and
typically small sample sizes. The approach we take is more ambitious
than earlier methodologies, the goal of which has been estimation of the
variance of a volume estimator \hat{v}, rather than estimation of the
distribution of \hat{v} ; see e.g. Cruz-Orive (1999); Gundersen et al.
(1999); García-Fiñana and Cruz-Orive (2004); Ziegel et al. (2010). We
use a bootstrap method to obtain a consistent estimator of the
distribution of \hat{v} conditional on the observed data. Confidence
intervals are then derived from the distribution estimate. We treat the
case where serial sections are exactly periodic as well as when the
physical cutting procedure introduces errors in the placement of the
sampling points. To illustrate the performance of our method we conduct
a simulation study with synthetic data and also apply our results to
real data sets.