[Statlist] Special Talk with Johanna Ziegler, Wednesday September, 1, 2010, 14.15h, HG G19.1

Susanne Kaiser-Heinzmann k@|@er @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Fri Aug 20 13:33:47 CEST 2010

Seminar für Statistik, ETH Zürich, Prof. Hansruedi Künsch:

We are glad to announce the following special talk

Wednesday, September 1, 2010, *14.15 - 16.00, ETH Zürich, HG G 19.1*

with Johanna Ziegler, The University of Melbourne
joint work with Peter Hall, The University of Melbourne

Title:
Distribution estimators and confidence intervals for Cavalieri estimators

Abstract:
Volume estimators based on Cavalieri’s principle are widely used in the
bio-
sciences. For example in neuroscience, where volumetric measurements of
brain
structures are of interest, systematic samples of serial sections are
obtained by
magnetic resonance imaging or by a physical cutting procedure. The
volume is
then estimated by the sum over the areas of the structure of interest in
the section
planes multiplied by the width of the sections.
Assessing the precision of such volume estimates is a question of great
practical
importance, but statistically a challenging task due to the strong
spatial depen-
dence of the data and typically small sample sizes. The approach we take
is more
ambitious than earlier methodologies, the goal of which has been
estimation of the
variance of a volume estimator ˆv, rather than estimation of the
distribution of ˆv;
see e.g. Cruz-Orive (1999); Gundersen et al. (1999); Garc´ıa-Fi ˜nana
and Cruz-Orive
(2004); Ziegel et al. (2010). We use a bootstrap method to obtain a
consistent
estimator of the distribution of ˆv conditional on the observed data.
Confidence
intervals are then derived from the distribution estimate. We treat the
case where
serial sections are exactly periodic as well as when the physical
cutting procedure
introduces errors in the placement of the sampling points. To illustrate
the perfor-
mance of our method we conduct a simulation study with synthetic data
and also
apply our results to real data sets.