[Statlist] Talk on Statistics: March 13, 2009

Cecilia Rey rey @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Mon Mar 9 11:01:56 CET 2009

ETH and University of Zurich

Proff. A.D. Barbour - P. Buehlmann -  L. Held -
H.R. Kuensch - M. Maathuis - W. Stahel - S. van de Geer

          We are glad to announce the following talk
          Friday, March 13, 15.15-17.00  HG  G 19.1

with Marten Wegkamp, Florida State University

Title:
Classification methods with a reject option.

Abstract:
In this talk I will discuss binary classification methods that have a
built-in reject option, in which case no decision is made at a lower
cost than that of misclassification. The main focus of the talk are
empirical risk minimizers based on convex surrogate loss functions. I
will present necessary and sufficient conditions on the loss function
for infinite sample consistency and I will show that fast rates of
convergence of the statistical error can be achieved for empirical risk
minimizers under a generalized Mammen-Tsybakov noise or margin condition.

The abstract is also to be found under the following link:
http://stat.ethz.ch/talks/research_seminar

--
ETH Zürich
Seminar für Statistik