fCalendar 262.73 install error

Yohan Chalabi chalabi at phys.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 29 12:23:15 CEST 2008

   CV> Hi,
   CV>
   CV> I tried to install fCalendar version 262.73 on gentoo 2.6.18
   CV> and  R 2.6.2
   CV> It did not worked very well. You can see the error below. I
   CV> know that similar
   CV> problem named as "[R] Can not install fCalendar package
   CV> under R 2.6.2" was already posted on 22 Mar
   CV> 2008.
   CV>
   CV> In that case the solution was to switch to windows OS. It
   CV> is definitely not my
   CV> case.
   CV>
   CV> Can anyone give me guide how to debug the problem. I tried
   CV> to run the
   CV> function .currentYear and it did work. The command Sys.setenv
   CV> exist and works.
   CV> I could not determine where from comes the connection
   CV> sys.source -> eval -> eval -> .currentYear -> Sys.setenv
   CV> given in the error messege.
   CV>
   CV> thx
   CV>
   CV> Cyril Vaclav

Hi Cyril,

I could not reproduce your problem on my debian box. But after a quick
check, the problem might come from the fUtilities package.

Sys.putenv was depreciated after 2.4.1 and replaced by Sys.setenv. We
try as much as possible to be backward compatible and we need sometimes
to play with the different versions of R.

If you download the source package of fUtilities 260.72, you will find
in file fUtilites/R/BasicExtensions.R the code which might create your
problem:

if (!exists("Sys.setenv"))
{
    Sys.setenv =
    function(...)
    {
        x <- list(...)
        nm <- names(x)
        val <- as.character(unlist(x))
        x <- paste(nm, val, sep = "=")
        invisible(.Internal(putenv(x)))
    }
}

You could comment this section out and compile the modified package.

Please let me know if it solves your issue.

hope this help,
Yohan

--
PhD student
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology

www.ethz.ch
www.rmetrics.org

NOTE:
Rmetrics Workshop: http://www.rmetrics.org/meielisalp.htm
June 29th - July 3rd Meielisalp, Lake Thune, Switzerland