Status Rmetrics for R 2.6.0

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at R-project.org
Tue Oct 9 17:08:11 CEST 2007

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 9 October 2007 at 16:27, Martin Maechler wrote:
> |     DE> i)  You didn't fix the dependence on akima. Or at least you didn't tell us.
> |
> | Apropos :  I don't quite understand why akima has a licence issue
> | just because of a TOMS algorithm,
>
> Yes, maybe we can get akima relicensed. That would help in several places.
>
> | when R itself uses TOMS algorithms in quite a few places.
> | Is it just because R does so more covertly?
>
> Possibly. I think I once tries to bring that up on r-devel a few years ago,
> but it went nowhere.

I had a similar problem for "lmtest" which uses an AS algorithm. At the
time, I asked Kurt and Fritz whether I could take these things and release
them under the GPL. IIRC, Fritz said that R also uses AS algorithms and in
the early days of R somehow asked AS for permission to do that. Hence, his
recommendation was to simply assume that this permission also extends to
contributed packages.

Maybe asking again explicitely would be more polite...but not asking again
never produced problems for "lmtest".