Status Rmetrics for R 2.6.0

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Oct 9 16:48:30 CEST 2007

On 9 October 2007 at 16:27, Martin Maechler wrote:
|     DE> i)  You didn't fix the dependence on akima. Or at least you didn't tell us.
|
| Apropos :  I don't quite understand why akima has a licence issue
| just because of a TOMS algorithm,

Yes, maybe we can get akima relicensed. That would help in several places.

| when R itself uses TOMS algorithms in quite a few places.
| Is it just because R does so more covertly?

Possibly. I think I once tries to bring that up on r-devel a few years ago,
but it went nowhere.

|     DE> ii) I submitted RUnit, robustbase, and mnormt to Debian. The last is really
|     DE> silly as already have the 'other multivaritate normal/t' (named mvtnorm)
|     DE> but whatever....  In any event, mnormt needs to be included so that I
|     DE> can then build sn, and then we still need to wait for sn to be included.
|
|     DE> So as I asked before: next we hardwire new Depends, and early heads-up
|     DE> would help.
|
| I don't understand     "next we hardwire new Depends"

I must apologize for my typing. That should have read

    "next TIME BEFORE we hardwire new Depends, AN early heads-up wold help".

so you interpreted it correctly.

| Do you mean --- as I very much agree ---  that
| DESCRIPTION 'Depends:' entries should not too lightly be
| added, but rather discussed on Rmetrics-core at ... ?
|
| Yes, indeed!
| Package structures should not be changed any more without
| a proposal that is discussed *before* things happens.

As much as I hate added 'red tape', with my Debian maintainer hat on, it
would help me to have depended-upon packages ready when needed.  RUnit,
robustbase and mnormt are still in the NEW queue as I only got to prepare
them after the Rmetrics release informed me I needed them.  A quick heads-up
would help.

Dirk