Rmetrics core status - now with 6 members

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Dec 12 10:11:35 CET 2007

Hi,
this is a bit of a status report (and implicitly an RFC):

With the joining of Kurt and Yohan Chalabi (Physics ETHZ)
we now have the following members

 	Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
	chalabi at phys.ethz.ch
	edd at debian.org
	Kurt.Hornik at wu-wien.ac.at
	maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
	wuertz at itp.phys.ethz.ch

Note that

 1) Rmetrics-core is the listed maintainer of the Rmetrics packages

 2) is a closed mailing list

   - addressable by everyone (including spammers)
   - but the subscriber list is closed
   - the mailing list archives are only open to members

-----------

The idea of "1)" was that not only Diethelm, but also others
might react to e-mails about the Rmetrics' packages;
possibly also taking responsibility for parts of the Rmetrics
packages, code or docs or testing or ...
As most of you should know (but it seems is forgotten again and
again), the Rmetrics packages have been in SVN for close to 2
years now at
      https://svn.r-project.org/Rmetrics/

all world-readable.
Write access can be made on a sub-directory specific basis,
e.g. Kris Boudt (Ph.D student of Christophe Croux from KU Leuwen)
(also was at the Rmetrics workshop on Meielisalp) has recently
given write-access to 'fGARCH' in order to add a robust version
of (univariate) garch modelling.

Also, for historic reasons, Achim has had write access to

[Rmetrics:/trunk/fCalendar]
[Rmetrics:/trunk/fEcofin]
[Rmetrics:/trunk/fBasics]
[Rmetrics:/trunk/fGARCH]

for a long time, but never used it AFAIK,
further, Spencer Graves who had volunteered in the past to work on
improving documentation (*.Rd) notably examples, but AFAIK has
also never made use of it.
Myself, I've also had write access to the above four packages
and did for a few weeks make extensive of it when fixing an fCalendar bug
(that was posted and a bit discussed on R-SIG-Finance at the time),
and introducing the new way of RUnits based 'R CMD check'
testing.

If I correctly remember my/our chats with Diethelm on this,
he'd be happy if others took a more active role here.
He would particularly welcome if someone would take principal
responsibility for some specific packages.

Currently, svn write access has to go through me,
where I need an 'htdigest' string for you, in the form
        <your_user_name>:Rmetrics:<........>
produced by following instructions at
https://svn.r-project.org/htdigest.html

Last but not least: The plan *is* to move everything to R-forge
which will make several of the above considerably more
transparent and in particular will allow Windows users to install
development versions of packages.

Martin