[OGRUG] Centres of ExpeRtise within GOC?

Abdool Yasseen abdool.yasseen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 21:43:12 CEST 2016

Hay Alex,

Re: the use of R in government.

I know some departments are concerned about security, and are hesitant to
make the shift. Also, the current knowledge base for R varies from place to
place, like Tyler said. This will definitely be changing in the future,
because R is the dominant paradigm in most analytic based university shops,
of which their alumni will be future government employees.

The only analogy I can think about is at the Institute for Clinical
Evaluative Sciences (ICES) which didn't have R available, up till a few
years back. They were really concerned about data access and only support
an internally contained html-version of R (importing packages and the like
need to be monitored). In light of the ever increasing need for web based
security, I think the use of R in the government should follow suit.

Just a point to note when thinking about applying freeware in institution
settings,

Abdool