[OGRUG] Google Summer of Code - R successes

profjcnash at gmail.com profjcnash at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 14:49:36 CEST 2011

Some of you may know that I am co-admin of this year's Google Summer of Code activities in R.

Last year we had (as I recall) 9 serious proposals and got 5 funded. This year 50 and 15.

So as admins, Claudia Beleites (Trieste and Jena) and I (Ottawa) are very busy.

One thing that we are trying to do is build depth in our mentoring "staff". If any of you
would be interested in helping to
mentor one of the GSoC students, please let me know (off-list please), and ASAP so we can
get you up to speed.

This year might just be a familiarization for you, but it is clear R is well-regarded by
Google, and we are going to have
to become more organized to cope with our own success.

Best,

John Nash