[R-SIG-Win] Some suggested changes to Windows makefiles with respect to experimental toolchain

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 20:25:04 CEST 2015

On 10/09/2015 1:57 PM, Jeroen Ooms wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Avraham Adler <avraham.adler at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What should the next step be? Should I just post the text of the
>> result of diff here? Should I e-mail someone a patchfile, the six
>> revised files, or both? Is this something to list at
>> <https://bugs.r-project.org/bugzilla3/>?
>
> We should hold off optimization tweaks until we have a stable build.
> Kevin and me are still trying to debug the rcpp longjmp problem which
> is more complex than we thought. Adding optimization in the mix at
> this point might further complicate things.
>
> Perhaps we can make a branch in the svn (or github mirror) to store
> these features so that they don't get lost, and we can easily test and
> merge them later on?

I won't make an svn branch; they take too much maintenance.

Once you have a candidate for wider testing (i.e. something that works
as far as everyone knows in 4.9.x, and makes no changes to compiles in
4.6.3) I'll put it into R-devel.

To make sure these changes don't get lost, personally I'd use svn patch
to create a patch against current R-devel, and update that every now and
then as R-devel is revised.  You github users may find it easier to do
essentially the same thing on the github mirror.

Duncan Murdoch