[R-wiki] R Wiki: What do you want me to do now about tips?

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Fri Jun 9 14:56:23 CEST 2006

Hello all,

First, I would like to answer to Paul Johnson. The decision to separate
Rtips into sections and have one page per tip is motivated both by
technical reasons (already discussed, a wiki is more efficient with
separate small pages than a big one), and for practical reasons. When
Rtips remains rather small and managed by one people, like your current
version of it, it is much easier to handle in one big page. Now, imagine
that the R Wiki tips section gains popularity and that (just imagine!)
hundreds of authors write thousands of tips. How would you manage a
single web page containing these thousands of tips? How do you find tips
related to, say, handling of data frames, in this big page? How will
someone with a low-speed Internet connexion get the last tip that he is
interested in, from this long page (he has to download all the rest first)?

I think that both presentations (several little page versus a single
large one) have pros and cons. The suggestion to make a digest of the
tips in the R Wiki, as an alternate presentation, makes much sense in
this context. Romain François proposed a script for that. A good
starting basis to automate the creation of that "Rtips digest". Would
you be happy with this solution?

Regarding the progress made with the R Wiki. This was also a very busy
time for me. I did my best to finish the Wiki engine for the UseR!2006
workshop. I still have a couple of aspects to finalize (presentation
with the sidebar, the Rdconv --wiki is *almost* done, plus a couple of
other details).

Anyway, whatever where we are now, we should officially launch the R
Wiki next week at the UseR!2006 workshop. A presentation is planned on
thursday (see
http://www.r-project.org/useR-2006/Abstracts/Grosjean.pdf). It would be
also an occasion to recruit other volunteers to help in migrating
material to the Wiki. I think that the priority is to write some initial
material for the empty sections, like "getting-started:what-is-r",
"getting-started:faq" (this is rather easy: it is the wiki version of
the various official FAQ documents, but with the possibility to append
comments for the wiki users), "getting-started:case-studies",
"guides:books". Another priority is to migrate material from the first R
Wiki by Detlef Steuer.

Thank you to all wiki authors or "migrators". The progress is slower
than expected, but we have already achieved a pretty good result, I think.

Best,

Philippe

..............................................<°}))><........
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
  ) ) ) ) )   Mons-Hainaut University, Pentagone (3D08)
( ( ( ( (    Academie Universitaire Wallonie-Bruxelles
  ) ) ) ) )   8, av du Champ de Mars, 7000 Mons, Belgium
( ( ( ( (
  ) ) ) ) )   phone: + 32.65.37.34.97, fax: + 32.65.37.30.54
( ( ( ( (    email: Philippe.Grosjean at umh.ac.be
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    web:   http://www.umh.ac.be/~econum
  ) ) ) ) )          http://www.sciviews.org