[R-wiki] License for R Wiki contents

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Thu Jan 19 21:41:46 CET 2006

Paul Johnson wrote:
 > [...]
 > And people who add
 > things should have some control over who can edit their input.  If
 > Prof Harrell were to put in something, and he really does not want
 > other people to fiddle it, he should be able to protect.  TWiki allows
 > that kind of control.

Here, I say "no, no way!". This is against the Wiki phylosophy, and
also, against the license I propose for the R Wiki, which is "Creative
Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5" (but see:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/).

OK, a couple of explanations are required:
1) The Wiki is for collaborative work. By the way, I believe it is the
missing block in the R world: to offer a way for *collaborative*
writting of documentation. Currently:

- The R core team is responsible for edition of .Rd files of base
packages and for the R manuals. Limited input from users through "bug"
reports.

- Package authors/maintainers have control over their .Rd files and
vignettes. Users feedback on the documentation is also limited.

- R News allows for writting papers on R topics. Nice for reviews, or
presentation of particular features, but static once it is published.

- Other documentation is either in the form of html/pdf documents, or in
the form of published books. Both need effort from their authors to keep
them up-to-date with a R software that changes rapidly with two versions
each year! A lot of these web/pdf documents are not updated, because
their authors are not "rewarded" enough from such a painful work. Some
books are updated (MASS, with its 4th edition, comes to my mind
immediately), but it is even harder for the users (who owns the four
editions of MASS?).

Collaborative work may be a solution to this problem: if someone notice
an error in a page, he can correct it himself... even if the author has
no time, or no interest on updating its own documents. Now, does it
means that all pages you put on the Wiki are left for free changes by
anybody? No, because there are several ways to cope with that:

1) The Wiki stores all versions of each page. If you, as the author, do
not like changes made by others, you are free to revert to a previous
version. This can lead to a dispute if the other person revert again and
  again. This sometimes happens on Wikipedia. In this case, the dispute
is solved by a discussion on a dedicated forum. Here, we have R-sig-wiki
which could play the same role, if needed. Ultimately, the original
author could ask for a locking of his page, if needed, which leads to
the second tool:

2) It is possible to give write access to selected pages to only one
user, or a specific group of users. However, this should be used only in
extreme cases, since it plays against the Wiki phylosophy and strength:
*collaboration on the same documents*.

3) Bad users can be blacklisted. So, they are bannished from write
access to the whole Wiki, temporarily or definitely.

This mechanism clearly requires a team of maintainers for the Wiki.
Given the high investment of many people on R-Help, I anticipe we could
find enough volunteers in the R users community for doing this job.

Now, back to the license. I think that authors on the Wiki should keep
rights on their outputs... but not  with an usual copyright approach,
because it is against collaborative and incremental building of
documents, by definition!

GPL suffers from one big problem regarding the Wiki: it does not
inhibits a commercial use of the material. This is not much a problem
for a software (think about Linux distributions: some are sold by
companies and this is just fine), but in the case of documentation, I
would not like that someone decide to publish a part or the whole R Wiki
in a book, claiming to be the editor because he just compiles the
documents and put them in a format suitable for Springer, Chapmann &
Hall, or whatever editor... This is the same problem for the GNU Free
Documentation License.

After a search for a better license term, it appears that the Creative
Commons license named "Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike" is a good
one in this context because:

1) Attribution -- (Original) authors must be always explicitly cited
(except if they dislike changes or use made of their material, in which
case they could ask for not being cited),

2) NonCommercial -- It is explicitly stated that commercial use is
prohibited. Thus, nobody can publish a book using material in the Wiki,
never! But anybody can compile PDFs or other formats that are freely
distributed on the Internet.

3) ShareAlike -- This is exactly the same idea as GPL: you can use,
copy, distribute, modify and redistribute your modifications, but at the
condition that you keep the same license for the redistributed material.
It is what makes the strength of R (and Linux, and Apache, and...). So,
the idea is to use the same phylosophy for the documentation on the R Wiki.

By the way, CC Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike is a license rather
common for public Wikis.

Now the last point that is, I think, important: would it be possible to
compile part of the Wiki and to publish it in another form? Indeed, I
think at a publication that is better valuable in a C.V. Yes, I think
about somethink like JSS. It should be possible to do so, with all
authors cited, of course, in an order that reflects the amount of work
done be each people. That is the theory, but I am not sure it would be
that simple in practice!

Best,

Philippe Grosjean