[R-wiki] Wiki organization

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Thu Jan 19 08:50:22 CET 2006

Arin Basu wrote:
> Dear Prof Grosjean:
>
> Thank you for posting the very informative summary. I recently came across a wiki dedicated for using R for Macs. Here is the link:
>
> http://wiki.urbanek.info/

OK, there is now a link to this Wiki in the [start] page.

> Although I personally do not use a Mac, I liked the way he organized the topics (limited topics but well organized). Also, at some point, this being a web driven project, we may need to give some thoughts of incorporating links to other sites and incorporating a search algorithm (searching both internal documents, CRAN, as well the WWW).
>
> Best,
> Arin Basu

I should explain here how it will work. Despite a first sketch of a
structure, a Wiki tends to become rapidly more like a wild bush because
people are encouraged to add pages and namespaces, and this is done
without concertation with the other authors. I think we should no try to
impose a given structure, but rather, let people add pages freely.

If we just keep that, the 'Index' (the left panel) as it is currently on
the prototype Wiki will rapidly become unreadable. However, I plan to
add a path that associates a table of content (TOC, indeed, they are
wiki page themselve!) in replacement of the 'Index' for given
namespaces. This will hide the complexity and lack of organization
behind well-structured TOC. You can see a live example of this mechanism
at: http://www.jandecaluwe.com/testwiki/doku.php/navigation:sidebar_details.

Best,

Philippe Grosjean