[R-wiki] graphics gallery in wiki?

Romain Francois francoisromain at free.fr
Mon Feb 13 19:30:17 CET 2006

(...)

>> I agree. That solution is the easiest, and i think the better.
>>
>> Is there a way to add new commands to the wiki, such as <gg 25> that
>> will add the corresponding image, ie :
>> http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/graphiques/graph_25.png.
>> Or <ggc 25> to call the source code, ie :
>> http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/sources/source_25.R or the html
>> ready http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/highlight/high_25.html
>
> Yes, there is the "interwiki" feature that rewrites links like
> [[wp>wiki]] to link to Wikipedia, topic "wiki". I'll see how I can add
> something to link to graphs and code.
>
> By the way, for the code in the R graph gallery, I suggest you use the
> same modified GeSHi engine with R syntax highlighting that I am
> designing for the Wiki. It provides links to R functions man pages and
> nice syntax coloring of code. It is a PHP script. So, easy to integrate.
>
> Currently, I am fighting with it to allow a better formatting of code
> (for instance, do not colorize arguments names similar to function
> names, as if they were functions, like in: x <- matrix(1:9, nrow = 3),
> where 'nrow' should not be colorized as a function, although the
> 'nrow()' function exists in a different context).
I know that kind of fights, highlight did the same. There is also a
problem with the functions withs dots, like as.numeric, etc ..
It is difficult to tell these softwares that as.numeric is a keyword
when as and numeric are also. I came up with a simple bash script that
removes everything like "</span>.<span"
> I'll send you the customized GeSHi engine as soon as I will finish
> this fine-tuning.
Great, Thanks.
And if we end up with the same css file, that will consolidate the
bridge between the two places.
>> Where would i link. I created
>> http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=rgg
>> So maybe i can use http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=rgg:25
>> Tell me if it is better to put that some place else, maybe
>> snippets:graphics-misc ?
> Take care that the final URL will be different from
> http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki.
I know, that will not be too difficult to change in RGG. I just have to
be synchronized.
> I will dedicate a server for the R wiki at my University. Also, it is
> most probable that we end up with something like
> http://wiki.r-project.org, or http://www.r-project.org/wiki.
The first one looks really cool
> For the location of the pages, I suggest something like:
> graph_gallery:graph25. 'rgg' is not informative enough. So the
> *temporary* link should be:
> http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=graph_gallery:graph25
Ok, i'll make the changes.
> The simplest way is to let create a page from this link (you first
> have a message that the page does not exists, suggesting you to create
> it). Then, I could add a template with a default title, a common text
> and the link to both the graph and the corresponding code (once the
> "interwiki" feature will be added) in that template.
>
> I really think it is the best solution: we continue to use your
> excellent graph gallery engine, and we allow users to puts comments in
> the best place for that: the R wiki.
And yet, it is so simple

--
visit the R Graph Gallery : http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques