[R-wiki] graphics gallery in wiki?

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Mon Feb 13 19:13:49 CET 2006

Romain Francois wrote:
> Le 13.02.2006 17:58, Philippe Grosjean a écrit :
>
>> Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>>
>>> Aside from how or where this would be accomplished,
>>> I think it would be useful if each graphic had a one or two
>>> paragraph explanation that walks a person through it.
>>> There appears to be some facility right now in RGG but in
>>> most cases more explanation is needed and as a result one
>>> often does not really know what one is looking at.  I was thinking
>>> of something like this explanation as what is desired:
>>>
>>> https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2006-February/086667.html
>>>
>>> I guess the alternatives are:
>>>
>>> - solicit such explanations from the graph submitters and add each
>>>   such explanation by hand to RGG.
>>>
>>> - have links from RGG to the wiki (and back in the other direction too)
>>>   in which case the graph submitters could enter the info themself
>>>
>>> - incorporate RGG functionality into the wiki
>>>
>>> - incorporate wiki functionality into RGG
>>

>> Personnally, I like solution 3: it is just a question of writting a
>> link to the wiki in RGG. If a page does not exists, it is easy to
>> create it by clicking 'Create this page'.
>
> I agree. That solution is the easiest, and i think the better.
>
> Is there a way to add new commands to the wiki, such as <gg 25> that
> will add the corresponding image, ie :
> http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/graphiques/graph_25.png.
> Or <ggc 25> to call the source code, ie :
> http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/sources/source_25.R or the html
> ready http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/highlight/high_25.html

Yes, there is the "interwiki" feature that rewrites links like
[[wp>wiki]] to link to Wikipedia, topic "wiki". I'll see how I can add
something to link to graphs and code.

By the way, for the code in the R graph gallery, I suggest you use the
same modified GeSHi engine with R syntax highlighting that I am
designing for the Wiki. It provides links to R functions man pages and
nice syntax coloring of code. It is a PHP script. So, easy to integrate.

Currently, I am fighting with it to allow a better formatting of code
(for instance, do not colorize arguments names similar to function
names, as if they were functions, like in: x <- matrix(1:9, nrow = 3),
where 'nrow' should not be colorized as a function, although the
'nrow()' function exists in a different context).

I'll send you the customized GeSHi engine as soon as I will finish this
fine-tuning.

> Where would i link. I created
> http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=rgg
> So maybe i can use http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=rgg:25
> Tell me if it is better to put that some place else, maybe
> snippets:graphics-misc ?

Take care that the final URL will be different from
http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki. I will dedicate a server for the R
wiki at my University. Also, it is most probable that we end up with
something like http://wiki.r-project.org, or http://www.r-project.org/wiki.

For the location of the pages, I suggest something like:
graph_gallery:graph25. 'rgg' is not informative enough. So the
*temporary* link should be:
http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=graph_gallery:graph25

The simplest way is to let create a page from this link (you first have
a message that the page does not exists, suggesting you to create it).
Then, I could add a template with a default title, a common text and the
link to both the graph and the corresponding code (once the "interwiki"
feature will be added) in that template.

I really think it is the best solution: we continue to use your
excellent graph gallery engine, and we allow users to puts comments in
the best place for that: the R wiki.

Philippe