[R-wiki] Top level organization

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Sat Feb 4 01:43:07 CET 2006

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

>> [GG]
>>A few comments:
>>
>>>- what is the difference among Manuals, Cookbooks and Tips and Tricks.
>>>Its not clear to me.
>>  [BB]
>>   Manuals and "cookbooks" are longer and by a single or a few authors;
>>tips and tricks are shorter and more collaborative (I've tried to
>>clarify a little bit by adding a few short descriptions to
>>"start2").  That said, I think the subdivision within "Guides"
>
> [GG]
> This is still not clear..  There are THREE categories currently,
> not two.  The three possible categories I can see are:
>
> - official R manuals.  The official manuals that come with R wifieid.
> - other R documents.  Contributions from users.
> - snippets.  Paul Johnson's collection, etc.
>
> Is that the distinction?  Should it be?

Are you looking at http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=start2
?   it has "Getting Started", "Guides", "Tips & Tricks", "R Packages",
"R Documentation", "Links", "Miscellaneous".
   I would say "R Documentation" = your category #1
               "Guides" = your category #2
               "Tips & Tricks" = your category #3

   I like this set of categories and (for the most part) names for them.

   I can imagine arguing some more about the proper name for Tips&Tricks
(=  Snippets = Short examples & notes = Rtips and other stuff = Code
library = Shorter material = ... ?); I can also imagine that "R
Packages" needs some clarification (what's in here? notes on R packages?
Wikified documentation -- or is that in "R Documentation", which claims
to have help for all of CRAN and Bioconductor?)

   Ben

620B Bartram Hall                            bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Zoology Department, University of Florida    http://www.zoo.ufl.edu/bolker
Box 118525                                   (ph)  352-392-5697
Gainesville, FL 32611-8525                   (fax) 352-392-3704