[R-wiki] Top level organization

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Fri Feb 3 21:41:40 CET 2006

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> This is looking very good.

   definitely agree.  I think we may eventually want
to tweak the categories in Tips&tricks, but we're getting
to the point now where we'll need to let some material
accumulate before we can really decide on the best
arrangement.

A few comments:

> - what is the difference among Manuals, Cookbooks and Tips and Tricks.
> Its not clear to me.

    Manuals and "cookbooks" are longer and by a single or a few authors;
tips and tricks are shorter and more collaborative (I've tried to
clarify a little bit by adding a few short descriptions to
"start2").  That said, I think the subdivision within "Guides"
(which is a fine category heading) could use a little polishing/
explanation. [e.g. I might add a "Field-specific" category]
Phillippe, perhaps (in your copious spare time :-) ) you could
give slightly longer descriptions of how you envision the sections
within "Guides" and we could work from there?

> - Translations sounds like different spoken languages such as French,
> German, etc.  Maybe this could read something like this: Guides
> to R for users of Matlab, Octave, Stata and other packages.

   you'll see this is now changed.
   (is there a single source anywhere for non-English-language
R resources? there is a section in other-docs.html on R-project;
a few non-English books in doc/bib/R-books.html; a fairly hefty
set of contributed non-English docs in other-docs.html on CRAN
(!! different from other-docs.html on R-project !!); translation
information at developer.r-project.org/Translation.html and ...
TranslationTeams.html; some info in the R Installation and
Administration manual ...)  Perhaps there should be *another*
Translation page under "Getting started" ... ????

   cheers
     Ben

620B Bartram Hall                            bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Zoology Department, University of Florida    http://www.zoo.ufl.edu/bolker
Box 118525                                   (ph)  352-392-5697
Gainesville, FL 32611-8525                   (fax) 352-392-3704