[R-wiki] difficulty in editing mixed models/p-value thread

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Sat Dec 2 09:38:02 CET 2006

Hello Dieter,

I read your complains too in
http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=guides:lmer-tests. First,
let me tell you that I appreciate your contribution to the R Wiki and I
seriously consider these complains.

Now, a couple of explanations. First, the Wiki IS NOT the right place to
discuss *technical issues* of the Wiki inside pages/sections with other
subject. Look at your page. It is about lmer... and it start with two
paragraphs of complains about the Wiki. Doing so, you pollute your page
yourself. The best place to discuss these technical issues is in
R-SIG-WIKI. Ben Bolker adequately moved the discussion there. So,
please, let's continue this discussion there; I will edit your page to
remove these distracting elements, but I copy and paste it in the
current message:

 > I don’t know why this Wiki adds unwanted nonsense-links to pf(), but I
 > don’t have the patience to find out why because of the inacceptable
 > waits in editing. And it’s not my fault that MS(linux) is considered a
 > product of Microsoft by the makers of this Wiki. I also don’t use the
 > R-highlighter, because the choice of colors makes reading more
 > difficult than black-only.
 >
 > Creating the text here was not much fun, waiting times are simply
 > unacceptable and the Wiki behaves unpredictably when syntax errors are
 > detected. I still do not know why Spencer Graves’ text at the end of
 > this page is Ok in a separate link, but crashes the parser when
 > inserted in-line. This has cost me over an hour to track it down
 > because of the long waits.
 >
 > — Dieter Menne 2006/10/09

Now, I take your various gripes one after the other, and try to give an
answer to them:

 > I don’t know why this Wiki adds unwanted nonsense-links to pf(), but I
 > don’t have the patience to find out why because of the inacceptable
 > waits in editing.

We try hard to make Wiki pages context-sensible. The idea is: to be able
to read a Wiki page and get instant links and hints about R functions
cited, or used in R code sections. This is not easy to do because that
code is not actually parsed by R, and guessing what the context is,
sometimes fails. It is certainly possible to do better, which we will do
in subsequent versions of the Wiki engine. However, pf() in the text is
automatically detected as a citation to the... pf() function in package
stats. So, the Wiki does the two following additions:

1) It creates a hint with the syntax of the function (its arguments). In
this case, it seems correct, isn't it?

2) It is supposed to create a link to the Wiki version of the man page
for that function. As you noticed, there is a bug for that function, and
it incorrectly links to plot.stepfun() (sic!).

Now, when you notice that, the good behavior is to send a mail to the
Wiki maintainer to signal the bug. So, please, do so in the future. Keep
in mind that people are working hard to make this R Wiki, and consider
their work: no software is totally bug-free (well, what about LaTeX?)

Now, about the slowliness you complain for. First, the Wiki edition is
totally managed by the server, not by the client (although there is a
little bit of JavaScript run on the client). The reason is to make it
compatible with as many different web browsers as possible. This is hard
to do, those days, with a client-side implementation of the editor. The
bad side is the heavy traffic between the server and the client this
requires for long pages with slow Internet connections. So, three
recommendations:

1) Try to understand why the connection with the R Wiki server is so
slow for you,

2) Please, learn how to present material in the Wiki. Your page is way
too long and is a rather crude copy and paste from the long thread in
the mailing list. Wiki pages are supposed to be digest forms of them,
removing most of the discussion with section titles matching the
content, not the name of authors of posts in the mailing list.

3) For long Wiki pages, the Wiki engines allows for editing one section
at a time. Shorter text to edit = faster response of the editor,
especially on slow Internet connections.

 > And it’s not my fault that MS(linux) is considered a
 > product of Microsoft by the makers of this Wiki.

This comes from the default list of acronyms provided with DokuWiki. You
cannot deny that MS is often used as acronym for Microsoft. Now, if you
happen to use MS with a different meaning, you can still protect it from
the bad, automatic interpretation by writing  %%MS%%(linux). Please,
read the Wiki syntax more carefully before complaining so badly about a
problem. In particular, (re)read:

http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=wiki:syntax

... and you will find there:

"To let the parser ignore an area completely (ie. do no formatting on
it), enclose the area either with nowiki tags or even simpler, with
double percent signs %%."

And again... if you don't find the solution yourself, you still can ask
on R-SIG-GUI and someone would gladly give you the answer.

 > I also don’t use the R-highlighter, because the choice of colors makes
 > reading more difficult than black-only.

This is YOUR feeling. You should consider that it is not easy to find a
combination of colors that would be usable on ANY SCREEN, not only
yours. In particular, a good practice is to limit colors used to the
small palette of colors that are considered "Web-safe" (same colors on
all Web Browsers and plateforms). When you consider that, plus the fact
that the text should remain readable (no pale yellow text on gray
background, for instance), you end up with a VERY LIMITED choice.

Now, you are the first one to complain about color for syntax
highlighting. So, two possibilities: (1) nobody dares to do so before
you, (2) you are marginal in this consideration.

If its is point (1), please, propose another combination of web-safe
colors. I have worked more than two days, trying different configs on
different machines before chosing this one. So, I cannot do better myself.

Now, do you write the Wiki page for yourself, or for other readers. For
other readers, of course. So, please, do follow the format and
conventions adopted in the R Wiki. R code MUST be declared as <code
r>...</code> and it activates also automatic links for R functions, not
only syntax highlighting. Other readers could find black text less
readable that colored text and would appreciate automatic links to man
pages of R functions they don't know. At least, it is my case!

 > Creating the text here was not much fun, waiting times are simply
 > unacceptable and the Wiki behaves unpredictably when syntax errors are
 > detected. I still do not know why Spencer Graves’ text at the end of
 > this page is Ok in a separate link, but crashes the parser when
 > inserted in-line. This has cost me over an hour to track it down
 > because of the long waits.

Again, please, write first the structure of your page (the section
titles) and then, edit these sections one at a time if your Internet
connection is slow. Also, read more carefully the syntax of the Wiki.
You complain about bad formatting of your pages, but the Wiki engine is
just a robot that does what YOU tell him to do. If you give bad
instructions, you are guilty, not the Wiki engine! This will take me
MORE than one hour to both answer your complains and reformat your page
correctly... and it is certainly not much fun for me either!

Now, I will try to edit your page to present it the way it should be in
the Wiki. Would you consider the work of other people a little bit more
positively, would you formulate bug reports or suggestions the right
way, and you would be really appreciated as a R Wiki contributor.
Best,

Philippe Grosjean