[R-sig-teaching] [h.wickham at gmail.com: Re: Teaching R in high school and college science and math courses]

User Hayden bob at statland.org
Wed May 18 13:57:37 CEST 2016

Martin, I'm not sure what URL was missing.  Here is a list of AP
courses.

https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcourse

The program is not just for the US.  Discussion of the current exam is
banned until everyone has taken it and that covers many time zones
outside the US.

The curricula are created by expert teams in each field.  If a high
school teacher wants to offer an AP course they have to get their plan
approved by AP.  This is fairly recent and partly in response to
schools putting the "AP" label on courses and transcripts to make
their school look good even though said courses did not match AP
standards.

The 2016 exam just took place last week.  It's (inter)national and
students get a score of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.  It is then entirely up to
colleges whether to offer credit and what score will be required as
well as what particular college course they get credit for.  (It can
happen that students get credit for no particular course, just
elective credits toward graduation.)

There are AP Stats. teachers using R though they are a small
minority.  I think some use R in one of the computer science courses.
A major obstacle is that students are "expected" to bring a graphing
calculator to the exam.  That pretty much means students have to learn
to do eveything with the calculators so using R would have to be in
addition to using the calculators, not instead of them.  There have
been complains about that for years.  Here is one from me published
last year.

http://chance.amstat.org/2015/11/college-to-pre-college/

----- Forwarded message from Hadley Wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com> -----