[R-sig-teaching] Looking for an R Mentor

Phill Clarke phillclarke at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 23:03:14 CET 2013

Hello,

My first post to the list, and I hope I am not asking for something too cheeky!

I am reasonably new to R, although do have some basic programming
experience from years past.

Currently I am using R, as a general scripting language to download
CSVs, extract data from databases and generally manipulate said data.
I chose R, as moving forward, I would like to perform various
statistical anlyses on this data.

At the moment, while I am making some good progress, being new to the
language I'm really looking for some type of mentor who can review my
code and make improvement suggestions. I'm sure I am doing some things
the long way around! I'm hoping my questions won't too much along the
lines of "How do I do this?" but more like "Am I doing this the best
way?" I know there are a lot of forums and websites where I could just
post questions, but I was aiming for more one to one interaction via
email.

Perhaps the response will be that I should just go and pay for some
training. Fair enough too I suppose. However, my intention is to open
source the output of my efforts, so I was hoping someone in the
community would be kind enough on the input side to provide me with
guidance under a similar ethos.

Regards,
Phill