[R-sig-teaching] t.test from summary of data

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 06:57:12 CET 2010

Dear Byungchul,

To my knowledge there is no built in functionality to calculate just
the t statistic using pre-calculated means and standard deviations.

Regarding teaching, I would flip your question around a bit, "is there
a pedagogical reason to have students who are using computers for the
calculations not use raw data?".  Personally, if you are going to let
them use a computer, let students practice on real data.  My guess is
the book author intended students to use the formula and practice "by
hand".

The functionality is essentially built in if not wrapped up in a
pretty function, a short version is: mean/(sd/sqrt(n))  .  A (ever so
slightly) fancier version is:

summary.t.test <- function(mean, sd, n, mu = 0, two.tailed = TRUE) {
  statistic <- (mean - mu) / (sd/sqrt(n))
  p <- pt(q = statistic, df = n - 1, lower.tail = FALSE)
  if(two.tailed) {p <- p * 2}
  output <- list("t" = statistic, "df" = n - 1, "p" = p)
  return(output)
}

After becoming quite tired of doing it by hand myself, I wrote a
function to calculate contrast ts.  With lambdas (contrasts) +1 and
-1, this should be equivalent to a two-sample t-test.  I was a very
new user of R when I wrote it so the implementation is crude as I
recall, but perhaps you will find some part beneficial, and you should
even be able to source() the function straight into R if your computer
has internet access:   http://joshuawiley.com/R/contrast_t.R

Best Regards,

Josh