[R-sig-teaching] t.test from summary of data

Byungchul Cha cha at muhlenberg.edu
Tue Nov 9 06:25:41 CET 2010

I am using R in my intro stat course, and, I myself is a R novice.

We use "Intro to the practice of statistics" by Moore, McCabe, Craig as textbook. Is there an option for the command "t.test" so that it can perform t-test from the summary of sample data (that is, sample mean, sample sd, and sample size), instead of the (raw) sample data? I've been looking to find a way to do so, but, I couldn't.

I believe it is possible to write codes to do this for my own use, but, I am just curious. Is there a pedagogical reason not to do so? This is a bit annoying when all the exercises problems in the book needs such a functionality, and I can't figure out how to do it in R, especially when many other major stat packages (including TI calculators) have that capability. What am I missing here?

--
Byungchul Cha
Muhlenberg College