[R-sig-teaching] data preprocessing resources

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at EKU.EDU
Fri Oct 1 22:08:47 CEST 2010

  Hi,

I'll be teaching a grad course in multivariate stats for ecologists
(ordination et al.) for the first time this coming spring. One thing
I've discovered in my interactions with grad students is that they each
develop their own rather idiosyncratic approaches to data processing.
I've seen some really odd and weirdly illogical use of spreadsheets
since I started teaching last year.

Do any of you know of good online or in-print resources to either use in
my teaching or direct students to? I've come across bits and pieces
scattered in various online lecture slides and notes, but nothing really
focused on this particular issue.

I know this is not really an R issue per se, but it's much easier to get
data into R if it is originally entered into a spreadsheet in a sensible
fashion.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tyler