[R-sig-teaching] text editor for teaching R

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 10:58:37 CET 2009

Hello

On 12/2/09, Stuart Wagenius <s-wagenius at northwestern.edu> wrote:
>  Can anyone recommend a text editor for teaching R on machines running
>  Windows Vista? Is there something simple to set up, stable to run, and
>  easy to use?

I am also a JGR user, resorting to Rcmdr&Plug-ins and Deducer for
certain tasks. Recently I discovered that Geany can also be used
relatively easily for R. Compared to JGR, Geany is a more comfortable
text editor, has tabs, and integrates a console in its interface. With
a small gotcha, it is easy to select text in the editor and send it
for execution to R. (The gotcha: the current Geany release requires
that, after select&send to R terminal, the user manually hit enter to
evaluate the code. The SVN version contains a hidden option,
send_selection_unsafe=false, which can be set to 'true' in the config
file; at that point select&send will automatically execute the R
code.)
Otherwise, Both JGR and Geany (as well Deducer and Rcmdr) are cross-platform.

Regards
Liviu