[R-sig-teaching] text editor for teaching R

Robert W. Hayden hayden at mv.mv.com
Thu Dec 3 00:39:48 CET 2009

Forwarded message:
> From: Stuart Wagenius <s-wagenius at northwestern.edu>

> I teach statistics using R in a classroom with Windows machines. For
> class, I use Notepad and cut and paste to the console. For my own
> work, I use a Mac or I use a PC with Tinn-R. The send-to-R feature
> is great. I would like to have the students use Tinn-R because the
> send-to-R feature is so nice, but recent versions of Tinn-R are too
> complicated and quirky. I feel that trying to set-up Tinn-R on the
> class computers would be a hassle and using it in class may be too
> distracting.  Can anyone recommend a text editor for teaching R on
> machines running Windows Vista? Is there something simple to set up,
> stable to run, and easy to use?

You do nto say why Notepad is not good enough but a step up is the
free EditPad Lite

     http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html

which should look "normal" to Windows users.  The main thing missing
for me is a spellchecker but who wants to spellcheck R code?-)  What I
do is edit my R program in an EditPad (Pro for me actually) window and
click on the Save button when I have made my changes.  Then click on
the R window and press the up-arrow to rerun the code.  After about
128 cycles the program does what I want;-)  I have used this program
for years with no problems to speak of.  Installation is easy and
makes minimal changes to the computer (I think you can avoid writing
anything to the registry, for example) and your students can install
it on their own machines.  There is no need to set up any kind of
connection between the editor and R.  Runs on Windows 98 through 7.

------->  First-time AP Stats. teacher?  Help is on the way! See

http://courses.ncssm.edu/math/Stat_Inst/Stats2007/Bob%20Hayden/Relief.html

Robert W. Hayden in the old library at  212 Main Street (P. O. Box 450)
North Troy, VT 05859  phone (802) 988-2587  web site http://statland.org/
email  bob statland.org  (add your own "@" and save me some spam)