[R-sig-teaching] purpose of list

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 20:44:41 CEST 2009

I spent a lot of time focussing on code as communication to make
electronic interaction as easy as possible.  Personally, I think this
is very important as the majority of my programming work is in
collaboration with others spread around the world, who I might see in
person at most once a year.  I agree with Mark that encouraging
cooperation within class makes a big difference.  There will usually
be a few students who catch on really quickly and can help the others
- a good reason for group projects.

For most homeworks, I printed out their submitted code and marked it
like you'd mark an essay, with marks for the equivalent of punctuation
and sentence structure. Little things like indentation make a big
difference to readability.  It took a few weeks, but the quality of
their code improved considerably (so did mine!)

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/