[R-sig-teaching] purpose of list

Mark Daniel Ward mdw at purdue.edu
Tue Jun 30 20:34:20 CEST 2009

Dear Graham,
    Actually, I love to communicate with the students by email, but I
find it a nightmare when they email me any code!  Sometimes a 1-minute
verbal explanation will take several paragraphs to clarify by email.
    I try to be available almost all of the time in my office, so that
they can drop by with occasional questions, even outside of office
hours.  I also use a once-per-week lab session to answer questions, and
I've noticed that the students talk to each other during such labs.....
and they frequently answer each other's questions, which is a blessing.
Mark