[R-sig-teaching] R in intro stats

Albyn Jones jones at reed.edu
Fri Oct 27 20:37:42 CEST 2006

 I have been using R (and Splus before that, and old S before that) in
my intro course for a long time.  Most of the students in the course
have never used a command line interface before.  They come from many
disciplines (Bio, Econ, Soc, Poli Sci, History, etc...).

I see advantages and disadvantages: you certainly have to spend more
time on learning the software.  The simple fact that spelling and
capitalization (X vs x) cause trouble takes some time.  The payoff I
see is substantial; the flexibility of the graphics facilities are a
revelation for students who have used other statistical software.
Some students get interested in R as a language.  The ease of doing
simulations has great value.  The price is right: many students
install R on their own personal machines, and some even continue to
use it after the course ends.

I use R for in-class demos, as well as having a 1 hour lab session every
week.  I have written online lab notes for each lab meeting, though I am
constantly rethinking and revising them.

albyn