[R-sig-teaching] R in intro stats

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Oct 27 16:03:04 CEST 2006

I may state the obvious, but just in case it ain't.. :

We have been using R for intro stats courses here at ETH only
for engineer- or math- like students (and continue to do so),
but not for e.g., biology or environmental science students.

However, starting this fall, we (well, most of our faculty) are
using or plan to use  Professor John Fox'  "RCmdr" ('R
Commander')  instead of the GUI stats package ('SyStat' I believe).
One nice goal of the RCmdr is to give students a simple GUI but
simultaneously expose them to the language (which is visibly
produced by GUI clicking) such that they learn part of it "by
the way", and are lured into using it for things that go beyond
the GUI.

I could also envisage to use the R Cmdr for the first half of
class and then to switch almost completely to "command line"
i.e., rather an R-aware smart editor such as Tinn-R, Emacs,
WinEdt, Kate, or the one that comes with R for MacOS X.

Martin Maechler,
ETH Zurich