[RsR] error/warning messages with lmrob()

Mon Aug 26 10:00:01 CEST 2019

    > Dear Emily

    >  A short answer also to your questions about
    > non-convergence of lmrob.  You are using it to
    > characterize the trend in many time series.  I assume that
    > the problems are caused by the series being short.  I
    > would be interested in getting some of those that cause problems.

Indeed, me too. (we mean getting the datasets, e.g., sending us
 	the file  'lmrob-problm.rds'  after

   saveRDS(<your-data-frame>, file = "lmrob-problm.rds")

)

    > For a simple regression, you may fall back on good old
    > rlm(...)  In the meantime, I will again try to convince
    > the maintainers of lmrob to introduce the possibility of
    > providing initial values that allow for avoiding the
    > initial S step -- since this step causes the problems.

Well, 'init' has been an argument of lmrob() "forever", and has
quite a nice paragraph on the help page of lmrob (search for
"initial estimator") *and* another paragraph in the 'Examples'
of the help page, online versions of which are nowadays easily found by googling
'lmrob robustbase'), notably these two:
- https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/robustbase/versions/0.93-5/topics/lmrob
- https://rdrr.io/cran/robustbase/man/lmrob.html

[I really would not go back to use rlm().]

Martin