[RsR] Maximum number of variables with lmRob? Error: singular matrix encountered

Fabricio Vasselai |@br|c|ov@@@e|@| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Sep 3 20:14:25 CEST 2012

Dears,

Sorry for taking so long to get in touch again. But I really thank the
insights so far. Mainly, I really apreciate the detailed answer given by
Manuel.

> Great that it works with lmrob :-). Are the differences really that
> "substantial"? Even when taking the standard error into account?
> Of course, you would expect "some" differences, because the two
> methods do not use the exact same algorithms and also use different
> default configuration parameters:

Indeed, depending on the models I run, one or other results are quite
different when I use lmrob and lmRob. More clearly in the p-values. but you
are right that (a) it is not the usual pattern, as generally results are
similar but lmrob seems to be more efficient; (b) if considering the std
errors, most differences seems to be not that different anymor;

> - For datasets with categorical and continuous variables, lmRob uses
> an M-S-estimate as initial estimate (replacing the S-estimate). It is
> basically an L1-estimate for the categorical part and an S-estimate
> for the continuous part. lmrob does not need to split the estimation
> into categorical and continuous parts, it just computes an S-estimate.
> That's one source of differences.

Yep, this is a perfect point to be made. The models I've been trying they
always mix continuous and binary variables. LmRob goes directly for a M-S
estimate. After I read your email, I tried separate models for continuous
and for binary variables both with lmrob and lmRob. Differences in results
from the models with only continuous variables were always tiny. Even
simulating data and models, I got the same results, i.e. I think most
differences I've been experiencing between lmrob and lmRob were due to the
different approach to the mix of continuous and categorical variables.

> - The defaults for the psi- or rho-functions used are different. If I
> remember correctly, lmRob uses the so-called "optimal" while lmrob
> uses the bisquare psi-function. While "optimal" is clearly worse, both
> are prone to produce somewhat unstable estimates for small datasets
> (if you draw sensitivity curves of the initial estimates you will get
> non-smooth curves with many jumps, etc). That's why we advocate to use
> psi-functions that redescend more slowly, like "lqq" (only available
> for lmrob). That's another source of differences.

Ok. Acknowledged, it makes sense. I have a dataset of 600 cases, running
models with 16 varaibles, 3 interactions. Even though, as I said I think
the main differences I found so far were due to how each function handles
the mix of different types of variables.

> BTW: Have you considered using the config option setting="KS2011" in
> lmrob? This is an alternative set of default options using the "lqq"
> psi-function and SMDM-estimates instead of MM-estimates. This will
> give you better tests, especially if you have many predictors and a
> not so large dataset.

Cool, I will try this, as it speaks to me: not so large dataset, not so
small models.

Thanks a ton for the info, Manuel. And thanks everybody for the references.

FABRICIO