[RsR] robust cov for n/2 < p < n ~ 1000?

Nicholas Lewin-Koh n|kko @end|ng |rom h@||m@||@net
Fri Feb 2 14:06:52 CET 2007

Hi,
At risk of exposing my extreme ignorance of the subtleties of robust
methods,
something I have been wondering about is the difference between robust
estimators
and penalized or regularized estimators. For covariance estimation p>>n
the
estimators proposed by Ledoit and Wolfe bC + (1-b)T, C being the moment
or mle estimator
and T being the shrinkage target, seem to work quite well in many
problems,
eg PCA, discriminant analysis, and factor analysis. These estimators are
biased
of course, but the gain in efficiency is large. If the target is the
identity
matrix, or some other fixed matrix, wouldn't that have a similar effect
to what a robust
estimator is doing, moderating the effect of extreme or unusual values
that make the standard estimators
unstable. The package corpcor has an implementation for the identity
target that is easy to modify
for other targets.

Regards
Nicholas