[RsR] Traditional vs. lattice graphics

Nicholas Lewin-Koh n|kko @end|ng |rom h@||m@||@net
Sat Dec 31 17:53:43 CET 2005

Hi,
In general I agree with Martin and Achim except for one small point.
If you construct your basic plots using grid, it is very easy to
incorporate
them into a lattice framework later, since each plot can sit in a
viewport.
Even better would be to use a framework so the plot is constructed as a
layout
and a series of additions to the plot area, then it is very easy to
write panel functions
for lattice, if conditioning is desired later.

My experience with base graphics has been that I can only go so far, and
I have
had to switch to grid in the end. Also, grid seems to integrate pretty
well with s4
classes, even though Paul used s3 classes for grid. It is very natural
construct s4 graphics classes with a slot for a vieport tree, and
various grobs.

That's my 2c

Cheers and happy new year

Nicholas