[RsR] Package title

Peter Filzmoser P@F||zmo@er @end|ng |rom tuw|en@@c@@t
Thu Dec 8 11:26:11 CET 2005

Martin Maechler wrote:

>     Wst> Hello Names are always nice to discuss. Let me add a
>     Wst> simple proposal for the name of the package: robust
>     Wst> Since this should be the well maintained collection of
>     Wst> robust methods, I would go for the "generic" name.
>
> (and Alfio Marazzi agreed with you).
>
> There is one very good reason against 'robust':
> Insightful's  library(robust) for S-plus.
>
> Our package will certainly not be a clone, and probably quite
> different in more than respect.  If we chose the same name,
> that would lead to a *lot* of potential user confusion for those
> who use both R and S-plus.
> I'm sorry but I think that "robust" is really already taken in
> the world of S ...

How about "robust-base"? I rather prefer longer abbreviations
than shorter if confusion can be avoided. The advantage is that
we can then also have packages "robust-mva", "robust-glm" etc.,
and it is easy to find all "robust" packages since they are
in alphabetical order.

Peter

From: Prof. Dr. Peter Filzmoser
       Dept. of Statistics & Probability Theory
       Vienna University of Technology
       Wiedner Hauptstrasse 8-10
       A-1040 Vienna, Austria
       Tel. +43 1 58801/10733