[RsR] OGK covariance estimator

Ruckstuhl Andreas (rks) rk@ @end|ng |rom zhw|n@ch
Wed Dec 7 08:57:22 CET 2005

Dear Martin

Many thanks for starting the discussion.

A few comments to your additional thoughts:

I good name for the packages is need. Some of the criteria should be that it should be intuitive, easy to remember and easy to find by google. I give slightly more preferences to a names starting with rob....

>>   o I've added (Rousseeuw & Croux)'s Qn and Sn estimators of
>>     scale, based on an R package I had started in 2002, which is
>>     based on the Fortran code from Antwerpen.
>>
>>   \item I plan to add ``\emph{psi - Function}'' objects,
>> using an S4 class,
>>     with instances for Huber, Hampel, Biweight, etc, at least for the
>>     M-estimators (of location / regression).
>>     Such an object should contain  $\rho$, $\psi$, $w(x) :=
>> \psi(x)/x$,
>>     $\psi'$ (= $d/\mathrm{dx} \psi$) functions, default
>> values for the tuning
>>     constants, and functionals such as $E_X[\psi(X)^2]$,
>> $E_X[\psi'(X)]$,
>>     for $X\sim N(0,1)$ (these functionals are still
>> \emph{functions} of the
>>     tuning parameters).

I support this approach; in particular that these objects should return more elements than the current versions in MASS. However, this objects are needed not just for linear regression models but also for GLMs. So I wonder whether there are alternatives for including the functionals (based on the normal case) in the same object.

Enclose, you find a temporary private package containing several functions. You are probably most interested in the robust fitting of Generalized Linear Models based on E. Cantoni and E. Ronchetti (2001). It is a new implementation. The fitting function is called rfglm(). There is also a function to compare two models: modsel.rfglm(). The name of this function is under revision. I going to call it anova (i.e. I will implement anova.rfglm()).

Talking about names: how should we call functions which do i.e. robust fitting of a glm:
	rfglm  (Robust Fitting of GLM)
	rglm
	robglm

Any comments to the naming or to the functions itself are very welcome.

>>     Very similarly, I'm interested also in the $\chi$
>> functions used for
>>     B-/V- optimal M-estimators of \emph{scale}, both the
>> monotone and the
>>     redescending ones.
>>
>>     In general, I think we should add ``\textbf{basic M-estimation}''
>>     things to the package as well, similar to, but
>>     more general than \code{MASS::huber}; note that I'd like to
>>     contribute \code{sfsmisc::huberM} (my `improved' \code{huber})
>>     to the \pkg{robstats} as well.

>> and actually I've done the S4 class for "psi-function"
>> objects last Friday.

Great!

>> Now I'm interested to hear more..
>> Martin